Hi, my name is Alex Cockburn and I’m a physiotherapist who graduated from the University of Western Sydney with a Bachelor of Health Science and Masters of Physiotherapy. I have over 8 years of experience in a wide variety of settings including musculoskeletal, neurological, pain management and exercise rehabilitation. I’m very empathetic, caring and passionate about helping my patients with their injuries and conditions and I love what I do!
Here are my top 5 reasons for choosing physiotherapy as my profession:
1. The number 1 reason I love being a physio is being able to get my patients back to the activities that bring them joy. We all lead busy lives and being able to participate in our passions outside of work is so important – whether you dance, play golf or do Crossfit, it is my goal to get you back there.
2. Problem solving. Having been an anatomy tutor for 9 years, I have always had an interest in the anatomy of the human body and how it moves – seeing it as an elaborate puzzle. I really enjoy putting the pieces of the puzzle together for anyone that walks through the door.
3. Empowering people: Being able to manage pain, injuries or health conditions can be a challenging and overwhelming task. I love educating people to understand what is happening in their body and giving them the tools to manage their conditions . Education is key.
4. In physiotherapy, there is always something to learn. There is always research being done and evidence being provided to enhance our craft. Being part of a profession focused on self-improvement is important to me. Learning how to optimise the service I provide for people is exciting.
5. Lastly, but not leastly, I just love working with people. I enjoy meeting and getting to know people from all around the world, hearing their experiences and learning from each interaction.